If your rights aren’t respected

In Ireland, no one person or organisation is responsible for receiving and investigating complaints that a victims’ rights have been violated. However, there are a few steps that you can take if you think your rights have not been respected.

Talk directly to responsible organisation

Raise your concerns directly with the organisation responsible. You can do this informally by asking to speak with a supervisor or you can follow the organisation’s formal complaint procedure. This will usually mean making your complaint in writing.

In the case of the Gardaí, you should speak to a sergeant or a superintendent about your concerns.

Complain to the Garda Ombudsman

Make a complaint to the Garda Ombudsman (GSOC). If you do this, the case can be investigated for “breach of discipline”. However, GSOC cannot force the Gardaí to act in a specific way. However, the Garda Ombudsman may make recommendations to the Garda Commissioner concerning disciplinary proceedings.

Complain to the Children’s Ombudsman

Make a complaint to the Children’s Ombudsman if the victim is a child and the complaint is about a public body other than An Garda Síochána.

Seek legal advice

You can also look for legal advice.